The Medical Assistant as allowable under state law and under the direct supervision of a physician, performs clinical support and administrative tasks within the scope of his/her educational preparation, skill and knowledge.Essential Functions:
* Prepares patients for examinations, testing and procedures.
* Obtains measurements of vital signs, height, and weight and records medical history.
* Assists the physician/nurse with examination and treatment of patient.
* Administers medication orally and intra-dermal, subcutaneous or intra-muscular injections as applicable to state law or regulations.
* Performs venipuncture for blood testing and the collection, preservation and processing of specimens.
* Performs clerical and administrative activities as assigned.
* Performs electrocardiograms (ECG), assists with x-ray procedures, and assistants in minor surgical procedures under the direct supervision of the physician.
* Performs “front office” functions including, but not limited to, answering the telephone, greeting and registering patients, completing and coding patient medical records, completing insurance forms for billing purposes, handling correspondences, scheduling appointments, and bookkeeping as qualified and assigned.
* May supervise non-licensed personnel (e.g.
registration or front office staff, nursing assistants) within an office or clinic setting through task assignments, direction and evaluation of work completed.
* Completes other assignments as requested and assigned.
* May have access to personal health information (“PHI”) necessary to fulfill the above duties and responsibilities. Access to use and ability to disclose PHI is further defined by each organization/department.
The Medical Assistant MAY NOT: * Independently perform surgical procedures.
* Administer medications which include: (a) intravenous and/or intraethical medication/solutions, (b) chemotherapeutic agents, (c) narcotics or controlled substances, (d) investigational drugs or as directed by state law or regulations.
* Apply casts. * Perform any skilled nursing procedure prohibited by State Nurse Practice Act.
* Reconcile bank statements or endorse checks.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
* High School diploma or equivalent and
* Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistants program. Programs are accredited thru CAAHEP Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and ABHES Accrediting Bureau of Health Education schools.
* Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), or Registration through the certifying Board of the American Medical Technologists, preferred but may no be required by contractors.
* One (1) year experience as a Medical Assistant within the last five (5) years.
* Additional state specific requirements as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
* Evidence of current CPR training including adults, children, infants and other training as required by the contractor.
* Able to effectively communicate with clinical and non-clinical staff and individuals.
* Able to provide proof of valid driver’s license, if applicable.
* Able to provide proof of valid auto liability insurance in assignment(s) include driving own vehicle.
* Meets applicable health requirements to provide patient care as appropriate.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort:
* Work is normally performed in clinics, schools, hospitals, doctor’s offices, nursing homes or other occupational settings.
* Work environment involves frequent exposure to communicable diseases, blood borne pathogens and/or potentially infectious or hazardous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment (e.g.
face masks, goggles, latex or non latex gloves).
* Able to read and interpret technical instructions; requires normal, correctable vision and hearing to observe and assess the patient.
* Medium physical activity is medium and may require frequent to constant lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs., and to physically stretch, bend, stoop, twist, stand, sit, walk, reach and climb stairs.
Location/Region: Bay City, MI (48706)