Job ID 86627 Full / Part Time:Part time
Under the direction of the Unit Manager, RN Clinical Operations Coordinator and/or RN Service Leads the Surgical Technologist works directly under surgeon/physician guidance to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures.The Surgical Technologist must possess expertise in the theory and application of aseptic technique; demonstrate the ability to combine knowledge of human anatomy, the surgical process and procedures including instrumentation and advancing technologies. The surgical technologist will be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeons and or physicians by constant attention and assessment of the surgical process and patient condition to promote a safe, expedient, quality surgical outcome. These skills will facilitate the surgeons and or physicians performance of minimally invasive, invasive surgical procedures and invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. The Surgical Technologist must be able to function proficiently in a variety of surgical specialty services.The Surgical Technologist provides patient care primarily through service to the physician/ surgeon. The Surgical Technologist is expected to have an understanding of the procedure being performed, anticipate the needs of the surgeon/physician and have the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure, while monitoring the sterile field. The Surgical Technologist is accountable for maintaining skills and knowledge to function in commensurate with their assignments and within policies and procedures of the department.
1) Maintains safety in the operation, management, inspection of designated equipment and instruments according to manufacturer’s guidelines and established policy and procedure.
2) Participates as part of the operating team requiring knowledge of the patient’s history, allergies, and intra-operative care plan.
3) Demonstrates knowledge in the use of pharmacological agents dispensed to the sterile field with the ability to recognize mixtures, doses and labels in accordance with policies and procedures.
4) Maintains an environment conducive to patient safety and aseptic technique in surgical care performance.
5) Accurately completes any required documentation of tasks specific to and within the surgical technologist scope of practice.
6) Meets the requirements of the designated clinical recognition ladder for a Surgical Technologist Level I.
7) Demonstrates skills and knowledge in sharps safety initiatives.
8) Demonstrates skill and knowledge in intra-operative temperature regulation measures.
9) Demonstrates knowledge and skills of specimen handling and labeling.
10) Demonstrates good knowledge and communication of medical terminology.
Required Work Experience:
1) Or program accredited by Committee on Allied Health Education Association or have completed a structured training program and hold a professional equivalent
Skills and Competencies:
1) A Surgical Technologist possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures
Associates of Science - Surgical Technology
Certified Surgical Technician - Various
Hours/Schedule: Part-time 32 hours Monday-Thursday Flex - 6:30am-3:30pm
Education:Associates of Science (Required)Languages:Certifications:Certified Surgical Technician - VariousWork Experience:Competencies:Responsibilities:Skills:
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Location/Region: Westfield, MA