Job ID 82182 Full / Part Time: Part-Time
Location: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.” For over 130 years, Baystate has been a keystone of Western Massachusetts as it has evolved, grown, and emerged as one of the highest quality and most effective health care providers in the nation. Baystate Health was named a top 15 Health System in the country by Thompson Reuters; and is a PRC National Excellence in Healthcare Award Winner. Most recently US News and World Report ranked Baystate Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital as the only two hospitals in Massachusetts to achieve top quality ranking for five common procedures and conditions such as total joint replacement and congestive heart failure.
Baystate Health believes that the advancement of knowledge, through education and research, is essential to its mission of improving the health of the communities it serves. Baystate Medical Center has major programs in postgraduate medical education with residencies in Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pathology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Medicine-Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, and Psychiatry; along with 22 fellowship programs.
Baystate Health is a forward-thinking organization. With impressive size, scope, and expertise, Baystate Health is the longtime market leader for health care services in western Massachusetts and is financially solid. However, as in most regions of the country, the healthcare landscape in western Massachusetts has shifted as a result of ever-increasing economic pressures and corresponding provider consolidation. Baystate Health is committed to its position as the key provider of tertiary level medical services to the people of Western Massachusetts. At the same time, Baystate Health has embraced a broader mission of promoting better health for the communities it serves and reducing health disparities. Baystate Health is committed to the provision of high value health care and is transforming how it delivers care and educates the next generation of physicians. One example of this is TechSpring, Baystate Health’s digital health care laboratory in downtown Springfield. Founded in June 2014, TechSpring works with entrepreneurs on ways that health care technology can fade into the background and take up less time.
In June 2015, Baystate Health established a new partnership with the UMass Medical School to develop a new regional clinical campus in Springfield, known as the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Baystate (UMMS-Baystate). UMMS-Baystate is now home to UMMS’ four-year Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) track, which welcomed its inaugural class of 22 medical students in Autumn 2017. Through this innovative program, the three institutions are partnering to strengthen the pipeline of new primary care physicians for the future in Western Massachusetts. These three institutions have also collaborated to create the Institute for Healthcare Delivery & Population Science, to generate and apply new knowledge to transform health care delivery and population health in support of Baystate Health’s strategic goals. The Institute conducts health services research projects in partnership with local, regional, and national stakeholders.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center (BFMC), located in Greenfield, MA, is an 89-bed community hospital that joined Baystate Health in 1986. The hospital boasts a state-of-the-art surgical center and a new endoscopy center that opened in August 2017. BFMC provides high-quality inpatient and outpatient services to communities in Franklin and Hampshire counties, as well as southern Vermont. Specialized programs include wound care and hyperbaric medicine, heart and vascular care, cancer care, family-centered obstetrical care, sports medicine, specialty medical and surgical services, inpatient behavioral medicine, and 24-hour emergency services.
Performs a variety of clinical and technical procedures under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Maintains safe operations of designated equipment and instruments. Inspects and evaluates safety of equipment and instruments prior to use in accordance with established policy and procedure. Removes faulty equipment/instrumentation from patient care area, labels with appropriate documentation. Communicates equipment difficulties to team leader/charge nurse. Demonstrates knowledge of safe handling practices of delicate instrumentation as measured by lack of broken items noted on associated cases.
- Maintains appropriate PAR levels of designated supplies. Monitors levels of supplies in O.R. rooms and restocks as necessary. Inspects sterility dates and rotates stock in O.R. rooms and on specialty carts to ensure lack of waste due to outdate. Assists in maintaining contents in instrument trays, as defined by the needs of the unit or specialty ie; provides feedback to service coordinator- physician instrument needs -physician preference card revisions. Demonstrates responsible and cost-conscious use of supplies and resources. Possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to function in several specialties.
- Maintains an environment conducive to safe and aseptic patient care. Establishes and monitors the sterile field and team by following policies and procedures related to aseptic technique. Informs Clinical Nurse Leader of conditions requiring action to ensure safety, sterility, and infection control as they arise (by completion of work shift).
- Promotes quality/appropriate patient care within defined limits. Assist with reviewing supplies/instrumentation/ equipment needed for procedure. Reviews physician preference card to ensure completeness of case preparation. Assists surgeon by anticipating needs and following instruction regarding equipment. Maintains safe practice with regard to sharps according to policy. Performs sponge/sharp/instrument counts with RN according to policy. Assists RN with surgical specimen handling according to policy evidenced by lack of incident related to specimen mishandling/mislabeling. Loads case cart according to procedure demonstrating awareness of proper care of instruments as evidenced by lack of instrument breakage. Immediately informs circulating nurse of any conditions which may negatively impact patient care.
- Maintains attitude and work practices consistent with team goals and positive service responsive relationships. Assists with teaching and orientation of students and new employees. Displays positive/professional attitudes to physician contracts. Consistently displays positive team approach when dealing with peers/colleagues/patient population. Possesses the ability to adjust to sudden change/emergent situations. Shows independent initiative in completing work assignments. Contributes to the goals/mission of the unit on a consistent basis.
- Participates in staff development and education activities. Completes all mandatory inservice updates on an annual basis as evidenced by attendance rosters. Attends inservices on a regular basis or reviews inservice minutes. Collaborates with Peers to provide educational programs. Independently seeks educational programs for CEU’s, certification, advanced degree, etc. Member of unit/hospital committee. Member of Professional Organization.
- Provides age-appropriate care of patients. Demonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups and applies theories and concepts when planning and implementing care for patients.
- Associates Degree in Surgical Technology or program accredited by Committee of Allied Health Education Association or have completed a structured training program and hold a professional equivalent
- Surgical Technologist with a minimum of 4 year’s experience.
- Consistently positive performance appraisals in key areas of function and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult and stressful patient situations.
- Exemplary expertise in knowledge and skills performance while demonstrating leadership abilities within the intraoperative setting.
- AST required
- CPR required
32 hours, first shift, 8 hour shifts. Monday-Friday days with variable starting times. Open to underfilling position at a level I for the right candidate. Week night, weekend and holiday call in rotation.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Location/Region: Greenfield, MA